Museums and Community Collaborations Abroad

Welcome to Building a Transatlantic Bridge, an innovative project providing opportunities for collaboration and interaction for high school students in the Greensburg Salem School District and for high school students in Oberhausen, Germany.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My old fashioned blog Dec 7

I was having technical difficulties when I was in Germany, so I blogged the old fashioned way - I wrote in a journal. Below are my journal entries. Enjoy!
-Katie

Monday, December 7th
Very early this morning I landed in Dusseldorf. I didn't sleep much on the plane because I was too excited! The man that sat beside me gave me some suggestions - he said I have to visit the Christmas markets. After I got my baggage I met Stephanie and we got a coffee at the McDonald's at the airport. Tiny little coffee cup (like a dixie cup) but really strong coffee! It was good. Stephanie gave me a gift of chocolate, because yesterday was Saint Nicholas day. After stopping at my hotel I went to the museum, met the staff, and Dr. Thomas Schleper gave me a whirlwind tour. The LVR museum is really cool. There are old machines from factories - a lot of them still work and they do demonstrations for tour groups. The machines tell the story. It is awesome! For lunch we went to a kiosk - a little diner-type place. Had sausages with sauce and french fries with mayonaisse. It was really good. The buildings are cool, they're mostly brick, it is a clean city. Everyone is friendly. Then we met some of the teachers at the museum. We discussed some of the problems of the project and also opportunities. They are excited to participate and want to visit Greensburg. After our meeting I walked from the museum to my hotel. I love the cobblestone designs on the sidewalk. Later on we went on a driving tour of the city on our way to Mr. Langer's house for dinner. We had a wonderful and delicious meal - soup, salad, meat and potatoes, and homemade raspberry ice cream for dessert. We ate and laughed until almost midnight! I just got back to my hotel and I realize that I dont have any european plugs, so I hope I can borrow some! Now I'll sleep because tomorrow is another big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment